What are the benefits of Enhanced Recovery?
Enhanced Recovery can help you feel better and recover sooner. If you’ve had surgery before, you may notice these improvements in your care:
- You don’t have to fast before surgery. You will be asked to drink a carbohydrate drink (such as Gatorade) before your surgery. This gives you energy and can help you heal.
- You will be nourished and not hungry. You can eat up to 8 hours, and drink clear liquids up to 2 hours, before your scheduled arrival time.
- You get to get out of bed and move soon after surgery. This can help prevent blood clots and pneumonia, and should help you feel better.
- You will be safe and comfortable. We use a combination of non-opioid medications and other treatments to effectively manage pain and reduce opioid-related side effects, including confusion, constipation, nausea, and excessive sleepiness. Opioids are used only for severe pain.
- You will heal well. After you arrive for surgery, we’ll warm your body with a warming blanket and a nurse will clean your skin. This helps prevent infection.