Enhancing your recovery at home
In addition to your discharge instructions, follow these Enhanced Recovery steps at home:
- Stay ahead of pain. Even if you’re not in pain, take your pain medication as prescribed for at least the first few days. This makes it easier to move around and heal. It’s harder to manage pain when you miss a dose.
- Apply ice, if approved by your surgeon, to reduce pain and swelling.
- Move. Follow your discharge instructions for being active. Get up and walk short distances.
- Eat healthy foods to help healing. Eat meals sitting up in a chair. This makes digestion easier and prevents pneumonia.
Other steps to heal and prevent infection:
- Care for your incision. Follow your discharge instructions.
- Brush your teeth 2 to 3 times daily.
- Don’t smoke, chew tobacco, or vape. Staying tobacco-free is one of the best things you can do for your health.