Days before surgery
Follow these Enhanced Recovery steps and any other instructions from your surgeon:
- Don’t shave or wax the area of the body where we’ll operate one week before surgery. This helps prevent infection.
- Walk or stay active. Moving helps prepare your body for surgery and recovery.
- Don’t smoke, chew tobacco, or vape.
- Take any pain and other medications approved by your doctor or surgeon.
- Exercise your lungs with an incentive spirometer if you were given one. For some surgeries, an incentive spirometer is used to help prevent pneumonia.